Wednesday, July 22, 2015

New World, New Friends

So I was chatting to a friend of mine - post move friend - and I came to realise that this entire experience has been a massive social development for me. Back in the UK I'd grown into a comfort zone with my friends - good friends - and I was happily going along in my rut with my friends heading towards my goals. Now we're going to get a bit metaphorical here but bear with the metaphor for at least a little while.
So I'm in this rut and I'm getting more assured in my social life, so I start picking up speed, going along faster and faster then suddenly this tranatlantic move appears like a stone in the rut. I'm at this point going too fast to avoid it and soon I'm out of the rut and onto the rough path - some areas pathless.
Okay metaphor over maybe, but you get it right? I was ripped out of my comfort zone and pushed into uncharted territory. I had to fend for myself socially. I could hear my friends back in the rut but I couldn't get back. So I strode on. I used my experience to forge on ahead - no rut this time. I was staying in the unknown and going ahead. I still am.
Right now okay metaphor is finally over. From my experiences back in the UK, I developed myself a brilliant new adventurous social life in the US. I learnt from my mistakes. I won't say it's been perfect but it's been a whole lot better than my start to high school was back in the UK. And I wouldn't go back and not emigrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment